Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Two For One

Two for one postings today.  I am trying to spread out my April goal postings a bit, but truth be told, I am a last minute type girl, so they'll all be done this week.  My goals, not necessarily the posts.  I also want to talk about books.

First off, I said in my last post I was reading Storm Born by Richelle Mead.  We are big Felicia Day fans around this house and she's been talking about "Vaginal Fantasy" novels.  She describes it as "urban fantasy (or historical fantasy) aimed towards women that has a lot of romance and sex." Basically it's Chick Lit (Fantasy).

Anyway, I finished the book last night.  I am still trying to decide if I don't like Chick Lit or if I don't like Fantasy.  I know I am not a Romance Novel type gal.  My auntie once gave me a big fruit box full of Harlequin novels that she had read.  I loved reading and was reading 2-3 books a week at that time, so she thought it was  a great gift.  I am sure it was, but I only got through about 20 pages of the first one and I gave the rest away.  Since then I have read a couple of Danielle Steel, but never really got into her stuff either.  I read Twilight.  I enjoyed it, but really got annoyed with all the stupid romance stuff.  I really think the whole thing could have been cut down to 1 book without all the hand holding, face touching, and almost kissing tossed out.


I like fantasy video games.  After all, I am a Night Elf Druid in WoW.  I like fantasy movies.  LotR is one of my favorites.  But fantasy books need to have something other than fantasy in them to really keep my interest.  I did read the Hobbit and enjoyed it, but not enough to pick up and read the rest of the books (which is funny since I really loved the LotR movies, but I won't be reading the books any time soon.) I like some other fantasy books, but they seem to masquerade as historical fiction.  


So, I guess my recommendation is that if you like romance novels and fantasy novels, this book might be for you.  But it just wasn't my thing.  I basically just pushed through it so I could finish it and start my next book.
Next book in the queue:  The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde.


 Now on to the fun stuff!  Crafts!  The cats totally d.e.s.t.r.o.y.e.d. the felt catnip mouse I made them.  It's in tiny pieces all over the house.  So I made them a bunch of new ones.  I even tried one made out of denim.  They've been a huge hit again.  In fact, we piled them up this morning while sweeping and every time I look over at the toy pile a new cat is laying on top of them all trying to keep the others away.  I guess these are going to count as Goal #6 finished.  That was the complete anything small goal.


Next crossed off my goal last is the bag for Brad's dice.  It isn't reversible.  After looking at some patterns for that, it just seemed a little above my sewing skill.  He's pretty happy with it the way it is anyway.  I, of course, see all my mistakes.  I think I'll just look at it through his eyes and not worry about it. :)  So, that was goal #4 finished!  Two out of six so far!


Here are the reusable produce bags I made for my mom, and a couple of extra for me.  They are a quick and easy sew.  I even fooled around with making a box bottom on a couple of them.  This was goal #3.  I am halfway through my monthly goals!


It's actually more than half way since I have already made good progress on Growth Rings and I did start on my Feet by the Fire embroidery, but I am not ready to share those yet.  That leaves me a week to frame up Serenity Prayer and all goals will be met!  My mind is already working on May goals.  I have been resisting putting them up yet since I am not done with Aprils.  I am trying not to get ahead of myself.  I think that's where I fail on goal setting most of the time.  I either get ahead of myself or I don't set realistic goals.  Let's hope I keep up the good work with my crafting goals, then maybe I can start making some life goals or at least get a menu planned for each week. ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment